Adolescents and Young Adults
Schwartz LA, Deatrick J, Bevans K, Hobbie W, Barakat LP & Tuchman L. (2014). Stakeholder validation of a model of readiness for transition to adult care. JAMA Pediatrics, 167(10), 939-46. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.2223
- Foster RH, Stern M, Russell CC, Shivy V, Bitsko MJ, Dillon R, Klosky J, & Godder K. (2011). Exploring relationships between optimism, perceived health vulnerability, and parental attachment among adolescent and young adult survivors of pediatric cancer.Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology,1(4), 181-187.
- Wakefield CE, McLoone JK, Fleming CAK, Peate M, Thomas E, Sansom-Daly U, Butow P, Cohn R. (2012). Adolescent cancer and health-related decision-making: a multiperspective family analysis. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, 1(4), 173-180.
- Daniel LC, Barakat LP, Danzi LE, & Schwartz LA. (In press). The impact of low income and minority status on health-related hindrance of personal goals of adolescents with cancer. Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
- Barakat LP, Schwartz LA, Reilly A, Deatrick JA, & Balis F. (In press). Perceived barriers and benefits of Phase III clinical trials participation for adolescents and young adults with cancer (AYA): A qualitative study of AYA decision making experiences. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology.
- Barr RD, Edens T, editors (2008). Special Issue. Supplement: SIOP Symposium on Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology. Pediatric Blood and Cancer. 50(S5),1089–1119.
- Bitsko M, Stern M, Dillon R, Russell C, & Laver J. (2008). Happiness and time perspective as potential mediators of quality of life and depression in adolescent cancer. Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 50(3), 613-619.
- Bleyer, A. (2007) Young adult oncology: the patients and their survival challenges. A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 57(4), 242-255.
- Carey, M. L., Clinton-McHarg, T., Sanson-Fisher, R. W., & Shakeshaft, A. (2012). Development of cancer needs questionnaire for parents and carers of adolescents and young adults with cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer, 20(5), 991-1010.
- Carpentier MY, Mullins LL, ELkin TD, & Wolf-Christensen CE. (2008). Prevalence of multiple health-related behaviors in adolescents with cancer. Journal of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, 30(12), 902-907.
D’Agostino NM, Penney A, & Zebrack B. (2011). Providing developmentally appropriate psychosocial care to adolescent and young adult cancer survivors, Cancer, 117(10 Supplement), 2329-2334.
- Ewing JE, King MT, & Smith NF. (2009). Validation of modified forms of the pedsQL generic core scales and cancer module scales for adolescents and young adults (AYA) with cancer or a blood disorder. Quality of Life Research, 18, 231-244.
- Ferrari A, Thomas D, Franklin AR, Hayes-Lattin BM, Mascarin M, van der Graaf W, and Albritton KH. (2010). Starting an adolescent and young adult program: Some success stories and some obstacles to overcoe. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 28(32), 4850-4857.
- Harila-Saari AH, Lähteenmäki PM, Pukkala E, Kyyrönen P, Lanning M, & Sankila R. (2007). Scholastic achievements of childhood leukemia patients: a nationwide, register-based study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25(23), 3518-24.
- Jorngarden A, Mattsson E, & von Essen L. (2007). Health-related quality of life, anxiety and depression among adolescents and young adults with cancer: a prospective longitudinal study. European Journal of Cancer, 43(13), 1952-1958.
- Kent EE, Wilder Smith A, Keegan THM, Lynch CF, Kato I, Wu X, Schwartz S, Hamilton A. (in press). Social information needs of adolescent and young adults with cancer in the Adolescent and Young Adult Health Outcomes and Patient Experiences (AYA-HOPE) Study. Jounral of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology.
- Knapp CA, Quinn GP. (2010). Healthcare provider perspectives on fertility preservation for cancer patients. Cancer Treatment Research, 156, 391-401.
- Knapp C, Quinn GP, & Murphy D. (2011). Assessing the reproductive concerns of children and adolescents with cancer: challenges and potential solutions. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, 1(1), 31-35.
- Kondryn H, Edmonson C, Hill J, & Eden T. (2009). Treatment non-adherence in teenage and young adult cancer patients: a preliminary study of patient perceptions. Journal of Psycho-Oncology. 18, 1327-1332.
- Kondryn HK, Edmonson CL, Hill JW, & Eden T. (2011). Treatment non-adherence in teenage and young adult cancer patients: a review. The Lancet Oncology, 12, 100–108.
- Kwak M, Zebrack B, Meeske K., Embry L, Aguilar C, Block R, Hayes-Lattin B, Li Y, Butler M, Cole S. (in press). Trajectories of psychological distress in adolescent and young adult cancer patients: A one-year longitundal study. Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Larsson G, Mattsson E, & von Essen L. (2010). Aspects of quality of life, anxiety, and depression among persons diagnosed with cancer during adolescence: a long-term follow-up study. European Journal of Cancer, 46, 1062-1068.
- Massimo LM & Caprino D. (2011). Adolescents and cancer: discrepancy between untroubled appearance and insight disturbance. Minerva Pediatrica, 63(2), 89-92.
- Matthews-Bradshaw B, JOhnson R, Kaplan S, & Hayes-Lattin B. (2011). The history and accomplishments of the LIVESTRONG Young Adult Alliance. Journal of AYA Ocology, 1(1), 43-47.
- Mattson E, Ringnér A, Ljungman G, & von Essen L. (2007). Positive and negative consequences with regard to cancer during adolescence. Experiences two years after diagnosis. Psycho-Oncology, 16, 1003-1009.
- Millar B, Patterson P, & Desille N. (2010). Emerging adulthood and cancer: how unment needs vary with time-since-treatment. Palliative and Supportive Care, 8, 151-158.
- Peterson CC, Johnson CE, Ramirez LY, Huestis S, Pai ALH, Demaree HA, & Drotar D. (2008). Psychological referral and consultation for adolescents and young adults with cancer treated at pediatric oncology unit. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 51(1), 105-109.
- Quinn GP, Murphy D, Knapp C, Stearsman D, Bradley-Klug K, Sawczyn K, & Clayman M. (2011). Who decides? Decision making and fertility preservation in teens with cancer: A review of the literature. Journal of Adolescent Health, 49(4), 337-346.
Sansom-Daly U, Peate M, Wakefield C, Bryant RA, & Cohn RJ. (2011). A systematic review of psychological interventions for adolescents and young adults living with chronic illness. Health Psychology, 31(3), 380-393. DOI: 10.1200-JCO.2011.39.5467.
- Schwartz LA, Deatrick J, Bevans K, Hobbie W, Baraka LP, Tuchman L. (in press). Stakeholder validation of a model of readiness for transition to adult care. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Schwartz L & Drotar D. (2009). Health related hindrance of personal goal pursuit and well-being of young adults with cystic fibrosis, pediatric cancer survivors, and peers without a history of chronic illness. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 34, 954-965.
- Stinson JN, White M, Breakey V, Chong AL, Mak I, Low KK, & Low AK. (2011). Perspectives on quality and content of information on the internet for adolescents with cancer. Pediatric Blood and Cancer. 57(1), 97-104.
- Subbiah V. (2010). Adolescent oncology: Who cares? -- the new KID on the block. Supportive Care in Cancer, 18(6), 771-773.
Zebrack B & Isaacson S. (2012). Psychosocial care of adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer patients and survivors. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 30(11), 1221-1226. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5467.
Zebrack B. (2011). Psychological, social and behavioral Issues for young adults with cancer. Cancer, 117(10 Supplement), 2289-2294.
Zebrack B, Hamilton R & Wilder-Smith A. (2009). Psychosocial outcomes and service use among young adults with cancer. Seminars in Oncology, 36(5), 468-477.
Zebrack B, Matthews-Bradshaw B, & Siegel S. (2010). Review Series (Adolescent): quality cancer care for adolescents and young adults: A Position Statement, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 28(32), 4862-4867.
While we tried to include potentially useful resources, this website is not exhaustive. New and additional resources may be available. Please let us know if there is a resource you would like to be included.
return to the top
This Page Last Reviewed on
March 4, 2014