End of Life
Wiener L, Sweeney C, Baird K, Merchant MS, Warren KE, Corner GW, Roberts KE, Lichtenthal WG. (on press). What do parents want to know when considering autopsy for their child with cancer? Journal of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
Bartell A, & Kissane D. (2005). Issues in pediatric palliative care: understanding families. Journal of Palliative Care, 21(3), 165-172.
Bona K, Bates J, & Wolfe J. (2011). Massachusetts' Pediatric Palliative Care Network: Successful implementation of novel state-funded pediatric palliative care program. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14(11), 1217-1223.
- Contro NA, Larson J, Scofield S, Sourkes B, & Cohen HJ. (2004). Hospital staff and family perspectives regarding quality of pediatric palliative care. Pediatrics, 114, 1248-1252.
- Feudtner C, Kang TI, Hexem K, Friedrichsdorf SJ, Osenga K, Siden H, Friebert S, Hays RM, Dussel VD, & Wolife J. (2011). Patients receiving pediatric palliative care consultations: a propsective multicenter cohort study. Pediatrics, 127(6), 1094-1101.
- Hoffmaster B. (2011). The rationality and morality of dying children. Hastings Center Report, 41(6), 30-42.
- Hutton N, Jones B, & Hilden JM. (2006). From cure to palliation: Managing the transition. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 15, 575-584.
- Johnston DL, Nagel K, Friedman DL, Meza JL, Hurwitz CA, & Friebert S. (2008). Availability and use of palliative care and end-of-life services for pediatric oncology patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 26(28), 4646-4650.
- Jones B, Parker-Raley J, Higgerson R, Christie L, Legett S, & Greathouse J. (2008). Finding the right words: The use of allow natural death (AND) and DNR in pediatric palliative care. Journal of Healthcare Quality, 30(5), 55-63.
- Jones B, Parker-Raley J, Mason T, & Brown C. (2011). Understanding healhcare professionals views of family presence during pediatric resuscitation: implications for family-centered care. American Journal of Critical Care, 20(3), 199-208.
- Jones B. (2006). Companionship, control, and compassion: a social work perspective on the needs of children with cancer and their families at the end of life. Journal of Palliative Medicince, 9(3), 774-788.
- Kebudi R. (2006). Approach to the children with cancer in the terminal phase and their families. Türk Onkoloji dergisi. (Turkish Oncology Journal) 21, 37-41. (Article in Turkish)
- Knapp C, Woodworth L, Wright M, Downing J, Drake R, Fowler-Kerry S, Hain R, & Marstron J. (2011). Pediatric palliative care provision around the world: A systematic review. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 57(3), 361-368.
- Kreichbergs U, Valdimarsdottir U, Onelov E, Henter J, & Steineck G. (2004). Talking about death with children who have severe malignant disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 351(12), 1175-1186.
- Muckaden M, Dighe M, Balaji PD, Dhiliwal S, Tilve P, Jadhav S, & Goswami S. (2011). Pediatric palliative care: theory to practice. Indian Journal of Palliative Care, 17(4), 52-60.
- Pao M, Wiener L, Zadeh S. (2013). Letter to the editor on Talking to Dying Patients. New England Journal of Medicine, 368(5), 480.
- Robert R, Zhukovsky D, Mauricio R, Gilmore K, Morrison S, Palos G. (2012). Bereaved parents's perspectives on pediatric palliative care.Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care, 8(4), 316-338.
Stuber ML, & Bursch B. (2009). Psychiatric care of the terminally ill child. In Chochinov HM & Breitbart W. (Editors) Psychiatric dimensions of palliative medicine, 2nd Edition. Oxford University Press.
- Ullrich CK, Dussel V, Hilden JM, Shaeffer JW, Lehmann L, & Wolfe J. (2010). End-of-life experience of children undergoing stem cell transplantation for malignancy: Parent and provider perspectives and patterns of care. Blood, 115(19), 3879-3885.
- Wiener L, Zadeh S, Battles H, Baird K, Ballard E, Osherow J, Pao M. (2012). Allowing adolescents and young adults to plan their end-of-life care. Pediatrics, 130(5), 1-9.
- Wiener L, McConnell D, Latella L, & Ludi E. (2012). Cultural and religious considerations in pediatric palliative care. Palliative and Supportive Care, 21(1), 90. .
- Wiener L, Ballard E, Brennan T, Martinez P, & Pao M. (2008). How I wish to be remembered: the use of an advance care planning document in adolescent and young adult populations. Journal of Palliative Medicine,11(10), 1309-1313.
- Wolfe J, Grier HE, Klar N, Levin SB, Ellenbogen JM, Salem-Schatz S, Salem-Schatz S, Emanuel EJ, & Weeks JC. (2000). Symptoms and suffering at the end of life in children with cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 342(5), 326-333.
- Wolfe J, Hammel J, Edwards K, Duncan J, Comeau M, Breyer J, Aldridge S, Grier HE, Berde C, Dussel V, & Weeks JC. (2008). Easing of suffering in children with cancer at the end of life: Is care changing? Journal of Clincal Oncology, 26(10), 1717-1723.
While we tried to include potentially useful resources, this website is not exhaustive. New and additional resources may be available. Please let us know if there is a resource you would like to be included.
return to the top
This Page Last Reviewed on
March 4, 2014